Thursday, February 18, 2010

yummy...

now, I would never claim to be the best cook in the world, but over the past year or so I have really started to like trying out new recipes and making food that axtually involves some work rather than dumping things out of a box (although there is a time and place for that too...frozen taquitos? yum!)

so, last night I decided to make shepherds pie. we used to go out with some friends every year for St Patricks Day to an Irish restaurant and it is what I ordered every year. I decided a couple of months ago to try to make it myself at home and I loved the way it turned out and decided to make it again last night. It turned out super yummy...yummy enough that even Anna almost cleaned her plate!

here's how...

ingredients:
1 lb ground beef or turkey (I used elk last night because we have a whole bunch of it from Johnny's brothers recent trip to Colorado)
random veggies (I used corn and carrots last night but last time I made it I used a bag of frozen mixed veggies). Chop up any larger pieces in to small bites
one large onion
about 4 large potatos
butter
olive oil
flour
milk
seasonings-I used thyme, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes last night

how to:
heat olive oil in a skillet and cook onions down until translucent, add veggies and cook until they are a bit softer
add meat and brown, make sure you add your seasonings to the meat
after meat is done cooking, add about 4 tablespoons of flour and a little bit of milk (maybe 1/4 cup) and stir consistently until a thick sauce forms
heat your oven to 350
pour this mixture in to a baking dish
while the meat and veggies have been cooking, boil your potatos (cut them in to smaller chunks so they will cook faster)
mash the potatos with milk and butter. make sure you add enough liquid so that they dont dry out when they cook in the oven
add the potatos to the top of the meat mixture in the baking dish
put the whole mess in the oven and cook for about 45 minutes to an hour.
take it out and enjoy! :)

I served mine with bread made from a recipe found here. Have you ever checked out this site before? Seriously awesome recipes and she and some of her friends have put together a travelling supper club that I would LOVE to check out some time.I never thought I would be able to make my own bread but this was seriously so easy!

1 comment:

Heather M. said...

I'm totally going to try this. it sounds delicious.