Monday, July 11, 2011

monterey: day three (on the way home)

day three was the day we left for home. I had asked Johnny to take Highway 1 to go home because I figured that it would be much prettier than driving back down the 5. Leaving Carmel, we saw signs warning of a road closure ahead. The further we drove though, we came across a few spots of road construction, but no closures. Johnny was still worried that the closure was ahead, and as we got further and further from any other freeways or highways, we worried that we would have to drive all the way back to Monterey if we should find a closure. Just past Big Sur, we did find a closure. Not sure if this was the one signs were warning us of (because there had been some really big construction sites on the drive) or if this one was new, but the road crew that sent us back up the 1 said that there was a rock slide. Id like to think that the closure was a new one and that I hadnt led us in the wrong direction ;)
a little ways back up the 1, we found a sign directing us to the 101 which is the road we took on our way up. We had no idea until we got to the top of a mountain that this road was a super windy two lane road with lots of small rock slides all its own...yikes!
we finally made it in to a small town where we had lunch and then finished our drive home.
oh, did I mention it was raining really hard the whole time? eek!
near big sur. you can barely see past the rocks in the water, that's how hard it was raining that day!

thank goodness for all of the cattle ranches on the way home, the girls had plenty to look at. yes, I know they were blurry, but this is the best one I got :)

we were trying to show Anna the rainbow that appeared over the hills in Gorman. I took a picture to show her later, but since Im having a hard time seeing it in this picture(I can barely see part of it!) I doubt this will be a good way for her to see the rainbow either ;)

No comments: